Top Roulette Terms to Know
Even if you’ve never played it, Roulette is a game you are almost certainly familiar with.
After being invented by the Frenchman Blaise Pascal in the 18th century, roulette quickly became a firm favourite among casino goers and today, can be found in almost every gaming establishment on the planet.
Several different variants of the game have evolved over the years, including American Roulette, which features an extra 00 pocket and Live Double Ball Roulette which uses two balls on the same wheel.
No matter what version you play, you’ll be presented with many unique words and phrases. Here are some of the most important roulette terms to know.
- American Wheel – A roulette wheel with 38 pockets instead of 37 thanks to the inclusion of an extra 00
- Backtrack / Ball-Track – The outer part of the wheel that doesn’t move
- Choppy Game – A game where there have been no streaks appearing for quite some time
- Column Bet – A wager placed on any column of 12 numbers
- Combination Bet – Where a chip(s) is placed on two or more numbers
- Corner Bet – A bet on four numbers in a segment
- Dealer – The person who works for the casino that controls the game
- En Prison – A French term found in some games where landing on zero results in a player’s bet being “imprisoned” for a second spin
- European Wheel – A roulette wheel with the standard 37 pockets and only a single zero pocket
- Even / Odd Bet A wager placed on either even or odd numbers
- Even Money – A bet that pays out at 1:1
- House Edge – The small mathematical edge that the casino has in roulette
- Line Bet – A wager on six numbers from two rows of three
- Red / Black Bet – A bet on a colour
- Wheel – The spinning wheel used in roulette